Let me cut to the chase: weeknight meals stress me out just like you but I made a BOMB chicken tortilla soup that you and all those picky eaters (husbands, I’m talking to you), will love!
This simple soup recipe is a variation on a family recipe. The key to me on this soup is grinding up the tortillas and adding them to the soup, then blending the soup, veggies and all, with the tortillas to create a super thick but still chunky consistency. (I make sure to leave some of the veggies and and tomatoes out). You’ll add the corn, beans, and chicken after which give it a chunkiness too. Oh, and by the way, since we’re going for easy, do yourself a favor, use a store-bought rotisserie chicken. Hi, easy. If you feel like you want to make from scratch, try this easy crockpot shredded chicken recipe. I love saving some of the chicken for salads for lunch.
In any case, this is a hearty and delicious meal, and guess what, this baby is gluten free. So, let’s destroy it with a dollop of sour cream and cheese. We deserve it.
*Sorry I don’t have more pictures! I was too busy cooking… then eating and had to share fast! Enjoy!*
- 1 Tsp olive oil
- *½ to 1 large onion chopped
- *3 carrots chopped
- *3 celery stalks chopped
- 1-2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 small can mild diced green chilies
- **1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- **less than 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 28-32 oz. canned tomatoes (I used 1 ½ 28oz cans)
- 8 oz (or approx. 2) chicken breasts cooked and chopped or shredded
- 1 16 oz. canned corn drained or the equivalent of frozen/defrosted fire roasted corn
- 1 16 oz. can of pinto beans drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 small white corn tortillas (Use more if you want it thick)
- salt and pepper
- Avocado- Optional
- Mexican Blend cheese- Optional
*I used the Mirepoix blend from Trader Joe’s. You can always add more onion if you like.
**The original recipe I followed calls for double the amount of cayenne and chili powder. But even with the amount I used above, it still had a MAJOR kick. Next time I might use less. So use more or less to your liking.
- Heat oil in heavy sauce pan
- Add onion, carrot, celery blend and sauté until translucent
- Add green chilies, chili powder, cumin, garlic, oregano, and cayenne. Stir 1-3 minutes
- Add chicken broth and tomatoes, including their juices. Simmer about 5 minutes.
- Place the corn tortillas in a food processor (I ripped into a few pieces) and pulse until they are completely ground up.
- Add ground tortillas to soup.
- Using a hand blender [http://www.cooktj.com/trader-joes-products/roasted-corn], blend the soup contents until soup is thick and blended, but leaving some chunks of veggies and tomatoes.
- Add corn and beans to soup and simmer 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken.
- Mix in cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes or so to let flavors come together.
- Ladle hot soup in bowls. Sprinkle each serving with cheese, and a few chunks of avocado if you desire.